Monday 14 February 2011

New York Fashion Week: Preen AW11

 Due to the fact that I'm a student with aspirations of working in fashion PR, work wear has never and will never be an essential part of my life. I once worked as a receptionist at a solicitors but I was sat down all day so that doesn't count. Anyway, you don't need much of an imagination to know that the words 'work' and 'wear' are bad news - they always conjure images of grey pinstripes and black wool, until now, that is. Yesterday, Preen made work wear sexy - quite a statement from someone who's only religious belief is wearing black...

I think these looks are super elegant and classy yet at the same time informal. I'm not sure what's happened to me in recent months but it seems I may finally be a colour convert - although I wouldn't wear any of these outfits myself I'd be massively jealous of anyone who did. The colours are divine and perfect for going from the office  to a swanky bar - binary opposites are a match made in heaven. 

It seems that Alexander Wang isn't the only one to mix and match unconventional fabrics - wool and silk are my new favourite 'hot couple'. If pairing a glamorous silk maxi-dress with a shabby knitted jumper is the major trend for AW11 then I'll be one seriously happy lady; it's like the modern take on 90s grunge but without Courtney Love. 

I can give or take embellishment, when done well like Preen it looks great but when done badly you can run the risk of looking like a Christmas tree. It's the last look, however, that I'm head over heels for. Woollen jacket + simple shift dress + ankle boots x muted grey hues = perfection. I am literally in love with an outfit, forget having a man on Valentines Day, I'd just like Preen. Thanks!

I hope you all have a lovely day with whoever you're spending Valentines with - I'm going for a meal with my house-mate as we're both without men, what will you be doing and what do you think of Preen's sexy take on work wear? 

photos from style.com

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm definitely on the silk'n'wool band wagon myself.

    Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The slits on those skirts = A++++

    Hope your dinner with your house mate was delish!

    ReplyDelete

Shoot em' up