Friday 4 February 2011

If You Only Have Love For Your Own Race...

That's right, I just used a Black Eyed Peas lyric for a title post. I do, however, find it very apt in relation to this gorgeous editorial from Vogue Italia. Beautiful, isn't it?





When I look at these images, I don't think 'Vogue are really wonderful for using black models'. I think 'this is a great editorial' and 'I really love the styling' so what is it about using all black models that is so shocking/empowering/contemporary because forgive me for being ignorant, shouldn't we be past that by now? I think there's something very sad about using 'all black' models as a statement as it only highlights the inequality still evident in society. Racism is obviously still a massive issue and Vogue should have made this beautiful editorial about showcasing the clothes - nothing else. 

Sadly, it seems, this still isn't possible, even in the open-minded world of fashion. What are you're thoughts on this subject? Also, having seen that incredible Jil Sander crop-up twice now (Drew Barrymore wore it on the red carpet and looked fab), I really hope an affordable high street version appears because I love it!

photos from thefashionspot.com

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, I've actually completely misread what you were saying in your report. We actually totally agree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly what I was thinking. Race should not even be an issue here - just the art. This sounds like a gimmick, not a show of diversity. It's really even worse than that: by making this special, separate spread for the black models, they are not showcasing them - they are in effect segregating them.

    ReplyDelete

Shoot em' up