Sunday 13 February 2011

New York Fashion Week: Alexander Wang AW11

Last season I was less than bowled over by Alexander Wang's SS11 collection, especially as I absolutely loved his previous season. I wasn't expecting much for AW11 but it turns out I was wrong to think he'd had his time in the spotlight because this collection is anything but boring. I adore it. The three main looks that I picked up on were statement jackets, sheer (grunge-style) and muted pastel hues.

I am a sucker for black clothes and these jackets are my idea of heaven. I love the quirky fur detail around the collar and sleeves and can totally see these being ripped off on the high street, they even make the colourful trousers appealing! It's grunge - Wang style. 

Sheer is a fabric for the brave - you either need to be a goddess at layering or just have the body of a goddess to successfully pull it off. These super gorgeous tops make the idea of wearing sheer less American Apparel and more, well Alexander Wang. I also think the trousers are super - they really remind me of something Aitor Throup would do which is never a bad thing.

Again, these jackets are to-die-for - how amazing is Wang's use of silk and wool?! I think there's something super elegant about combining unusual fabrics and he's got it down to perfection. I love how this collection is very elegant and contemporary but at the same time referencing everything that was brilliant about the 90s; it makes me really quite excited for the next couple of weeks, anyone else?

What do you think of Alexander Wang's AW11 collection and have you seen any outstanding shows so far?

4 comments:

  1. Great collection, my favorite was definitely the white coat with yellow accents. Also loved the purses. Loving the collections by Jason Wu, Nicole Miller, Rebecca Taylor,Vivienne Tam, and DKNY.
    ~Giselle
    http://www.machinewashwarm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I can't stand Alexander Wang and feel he's desperately overrated, but I love reading your words on the subject :)

    I love the Rag & Bone collection. Those poncho-cape type things and the strange semi-geometric lines are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Far better than the s/s 2011 all-in-white collection...
    Loved the pastels and the shoes.. he always designs great shoes.. and i like the idea of the jacket + sweater.. i mean the way he put it together.. good collection overall *thumbs up*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lydia! I really love your blog - are you on twitter because I can't seem to find you? Emily x

    ReplyDelete

Shoot em' up