Thursday 27 January 2011

Couture 2011 Round-Up: Good, Better, Best

Forgive me for being insensitive to the current economical climate but Couture is supposed to be about beauty, wealth and decadence. I may be being a little fashion-blind but there were few collections this season that even whispered those words. Chanel was a massive let down for me so I don't even want to talk about it (I usually love Chanel, so that's saying something) and the rest, well, was rather uninspiring. There were, however, a few saving graces.

I'll start with the good, Valentino:

Valentino wasn't extraordinary but it's the craftsmenship of the pieces that stood out to me. They clearly have been beautifully made and constructed but sadly the bland colour scheme let the collection down a bit. I thought these dresses were particularly gorgeous - they're perfect for the upcoming Oscars - but otherwise I wasn't that bothered, sorry Valentino lovers!

Up a notch from Valentino is Givenchy:


Last season I fell completely head over heels for Riccardo Tisci's collection for Givenchy so he had a lot to live up to. I don't think 2011 packs quite the punch as 2010 but it is still undoubedtly a stunning collection. I love the flashes of colour and the sheer/feather combination and think that the white theme is really strong. I could see every single one of his dresses worn on the red carpet but these were my favourites. The first dress is out of this world, no?

For the grand finale and my personal favourite - Elie Saab:

If you click on the image it will enlarge and you'll see just how perfect these dresses are. Every single piece in Saab's collection was red-carpet perfect, I really couldn't fault him. Admittedly the dresses are a bit safe in terms of fashion but there's no denying that they're completely absolutely stunning. I'm usually not so disappointed at Couture Week but I think Elie Saab saved it for me, without him this post wouldn't be possible!

What do you think of Couture Week in comparison to ready-to-wear? Do you think it should have been more outrageously decadent or are designers right to present something representative of the economical climate?

PS. If you haven't already, please pick me to win an internship with Elle, it only takes a second and I'll be forever greatful!

photos from style.com

3 comments:

  1. Best of luck in the competition! I love the beautiful dresses of Saab's collection. I definitely agree that I needed to some more decadence. Thanks for stopping by my blog ;) Following on Google Friend Connect.
    Cheers!
    ~Giselle
    http://www.machinewashwarm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about Saab and something more shocking would be welcome...Chose you for the Elle thing, great blog,

    Peroxide Blonde
    http://theperoxideblonde.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes yes yes, me and my colleague at work were drooling over Saab yesterday! Absolutely beautiful dresses x

    ReplyDelete

Shoot em' up