Sunday 6 March 2011

Paris Fashion Week: Haider Ackermann AW11

 I know it's really bad to admit this but by the time Paris Fashion Week comes around, I've completely lost the will to pay attention. This is most upsetting because Paris Fashion Week is usually the best; Chanel, Jean Paul Gaultier, Viktor and Rolf, Comme des Garcons, Dior, Givenchy, Lanvin - the list of amazing designers goes on. Anyway, I haven't really had time to look through all the shows yet and Haider Ackermann was the first I looked at this morning. Convenience aside, I really love Haider's designs and although there were a couple of pieces I could do without this season (the wide belts and the cone-head hair), the collection was stunning.
































My inherent aversion to colour makes Haider one of my favourite designers - I especially loved the jewel-toned glam-goth vibe this season. I mentioned before that grunge was going to be a big hit for AW11 and I still stand by that; grunge isn't simply about wearing Dr.Martens with a floral dress and plaid shirt anymore, it's about mixing silk with wool, wearing oversized knitted jumpers with flowing maxi-dresses and having that 'I don't give a fuck' attitude (even though we'll all know it took an hour to put together the outfit).

I particularly loved Haider's biker jackets and the floor-sweeping Matrix looking coats - I couldn't pull it off myself but know several people that could. My favourite pieces from the show were from the last couple of looks - neither of them were black (shock horror) but they just looked absolutely stunning.


That cropped white jacket makes me drool slightly, isn't it beautiful? I'm dying to post about Junya Watanabe but I'm about to go and have some lunch in London town so will do that as soon as I'm back. What do you think of Haider? Would you be inclined to wear a floor-sweeping leather coat or would you prefer to leave that to the cyber-goths of the world?

Photos from style.com

1 comment:

  1. I'm still counting on Givenchy, because Tisci never disappoints! But so far everything looks boring! There are only a few like tisci, ackermann and pugh that are still worth taking a look at PFW!

    ReplyDelete

Shoot em' up